February 1972 saw the facelift and refinement of the Torana with the release of the LJ series. Many features were brought into line with the larger HQ series, introduced in mid 1971.
The HQ derived steering column and steering wheel were fitted, along with adjustable head restraints and impact absorbing interior sun visors.
Even the new recessed plastic grille (six cylinder only) bore a family
resemblance to the HQ. The rear of the car had a new modular three piece tail light assemblies. Other new items were the dash layout with relocated heater controls and an HQ style column mounted ignition / steering lock. The instruments remained basically as before (on the GTR, some minor gauge positions were swapped) and the radio was now mounted in the centre of the dash.
Suspension springs and shocks were improved for a smoother ride and the seating was redesigned for better lateral support. All interior trim materials were also similar to those used in the HQ range.
The model lineup was the same as the late LC with four cylinder engines
available in a two door Torana 1200 sedan and a two or four door Deluxe sedan, while then six cylinder cars appeared as the Torana S two of four door and the SL four door sedans. The two door GTR remained and the GTR XU-1 was now in regular production.
The engine choice was increased with the four cylinder units now available in 1200, 1300 (both OHV) and 1600 OHC varieties. The new 1300cc engine used in the Deluxe was offered with manual transmission only (1300 Deluxe autos actually used the old series 70 69bhp 1159cc unit). Late in 1972, the 1600 OHC was replaced by the 1760 OHC, a longer stroke version of the same Vauxhall slant four
The six cylinder 2250 remained, as did the 2850 from the LC. However, the twin barrel 2850 S was replaced by the 3300 for the GTR. While the 3300 (202ci) was lifted straight from the HQ Kingswood, with no performance goodies, it provided greater torque and flexibility than the old series GTR engine. The GTR XU-1, however, now sported triple 175mm CD Stromberg sidedraught carburettors and further cam modifications, developing 190bhp, making it a very formidable beast. The four speed XU-1 gearbox was now the Australian four speed transmission, type M21 (introduced in late LC and with different ratios from the HQ 308 M21).
On the normal six cylinder cars, the 3300 engine (previously exclusive to the GTR) was made optional on the S and SL models in early 1973, making even these vehicles very quick transport. The 2850 motor then became the standard
six and the 2250 engine was dropped for local cars and used for export only. At the same time, the 56bhp 1200 engine was also discontinued, and the baseline four cylinder model became the Torana 1300.
Rear side blinker repeaters now deleted.
Trimatic now featured electric kickdown.
GTR used HQ GTS steering wheel.
All other models used HQ Kingswood steering wheel.
1973 and 1974 models had orange front blinkers and parking lights integral with the headlights (same as late HQ).
Production Dates and Numbers:
Feb 1972 – Mar 1974: 81,813